Re: [Exim] Exim 3.16

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Marc MERLIN
A: Mangled
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Exim 3.16
On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 08:58:15PM +0200, Mangled wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Heres the problem i am having. I would much appreciate any help Thanx
> :)
>
> About 8 months back i was using Redhat 6.0 with exim 2.10 and kernel
> 2.2.9 and i had no problems, i then updated to Mandrake 7.1 kernel
> 2.2.15 and exim 3.16, the problem i have is after say 25-30 days
> i start getting the following output outputted to my screen and in my
> logs as well.
>
> Mar 28 12:45:53 mail kernel: socket: no more sockets
> Mar 28 12:45:53 mail kernel: grow_inodes: inode-max limit reached

Actually, I know that one, for having hit and solved it.

Contrary to the message you see, your FS didn't run out of inodes, the inode
table in your kernel overflowed due to an inode leak in the kernel.
The other message shows how to grow the table, but because of the leak it's
going to fill up again.

Your problem is that you're running Mandrake 7.1 with a buggy kernel. The
kernel you have includes the solar designer securelinux patch which closes
file descriptors before a setuid call, and that piece of code is buggy (it
typically only shows up on exim servers because of the amount of setuid
calls that exim does during a given day)

Fixes:
1) Don't use Linux-Mandrake :-)
2) Recompile the kernel with SECUREFD disabled
3) Use a patched kernel from VA Linux instead:
ftp://ftp.valinux.com/pub/kernel/2.2.18pre11-va2.1/RPMS
ftp://ftp.valinux.com/pub/kernel/2.2.18pre11-va2.1/RPMS/optional/i686

Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key