Re: [Exim] Mail storage formats/ POP/IMAP/webmail daemon/etc…

Autor: Peter Galbavy
A: Tom Samplonius, Juha Saarinen
CC: Nigel Metheringham, Dave C., Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Mail storage formats/ POP/IMAP/webmail daemon/etc..
> Beware that Exim uses internal MBX support, rather than the WU library.
> This can pose compatibility problems. Marc Crispin (the author) certainly
> doesn't recommend anyone do this.

That is just the UW-IMAP author's "not invented here" prejudice. This is
also why maildir support isn't included. In the case of mbx format, I have
been using is with exim native delivery for a number of years, with
originally a UW-IMAP server, then a butchered one with most of c-client
ripped out. Not a single problem once the locking was understood by myself.

Open source / free software is a great thing, but the primary reason (ahead
of performance considerations or anything) for us not using UW-IMAP is the
complete lack of an open development structure. Mark Crispin will reject
anything that he cannot justify as having already done. Sorry Mark, but this
is a sad fact.

Peter