Re: [Exim] EMSD

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Keith Burris
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] EMSD
On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Keith Burris wrote:

[Reformatted to a reasonable line length]

> I have searched the list archives and I have found little about EMSD.
> If I understand things correctly, EMSD is a recent protocol (RFC 2524)
> designed for pushing messages to mobile devices. The underlying itch is
> finding an open source alternative to the RIM/Blackberry wireless
> messaging product in the US.

> So I have a couple of questions about all this: (1) is my
> understanding correct?; (2) if so, is EMSD a worthwhile alternative?;
> and (3) is support anticipated in Exim 4?

I had not heard of RFC 2524 before and have no knowledge of the problem
it is trying to solve. As for (3), the answer is no. The RFC contains
this paragraph:

      Because Internet Mail and EMSD have somewhat different and
      conflicting service models and different data models, mapping
      between them may provide good service only in limited cases, and
      this may cause operational problems.

This doesn't exactly sound as if EMSD is a mainstream thing that ought
to be included in an MTA. I would have thought that a separate program
that handles it would be the way to go. Just MHO, of course.