Re: [Exim] Slightly OT DNS<->MTA problem

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Greg A. Woods
A: Sascha E. Pollok
Cc: exim-users, sv
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Slightly OT DNS<->MTA problem
[ On Friday, March 30, 2001 at 01:32:54 (+0200), Sascha E. Pollok wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Slightly OT DNS<->MTA problem
>
> 2nd, having the domain name as host is not a great thing to do but
> more and more customers are requesting that.

I think it's a perfectly fine thing to do, assuming that's what you
really want to do. There's certainly no harm in it. It's a damn good
idea to have a "www" hostname in your domain too though, since that's
going to be tried by many modern browsers (eg. when the luser types
"customer" into the URL field). Almost everyone uses
<mailbox@???> as their e-mail address -- why shouldn't WWW
addresses (and FTP sites, for that matter) be just as simple?

> What I didn't
> get from the replies was a zone-file that would work. An example
> like the one Greg gave me:
>
> ---snip---
>         @       IN SOA  customer.com. postmaster.customer.com. (...)
>                 IN NS   customer.com.
>                 IN NS   ns.isp.net.
>                 IN MX   0 customer.com.
>                 IN A    192.168.1.1
> ---snap---

> ... doesn't bring me anywhere since I assume it looks just like
> my original example (ok, I forgot the priorites in the email. sorry! I
> have added them here).

Note that in a zone file any record which begins with white space has
the same name as the one before it. See RFC 1035 and the
doc/html/master.html file in the BIND-8 distribution.

Maybe I should have been more explicit (indented with a leading tab):

    $ORIGIN customer.com.
    @    IN SOA    customer.com. postmaster.customer.com. (2001032900 8h 2h 1w 3h)
    @    IN NS   customer.com.
    @    IN NS   ns.isp.net.
    @    IN MX   0 customer.com.
    @    IN A    192.168.1.1

In this example the names of *all* of the resource records are just
"customer.com". it is identical to the example you quoted above (except
for the fact I've now explicitly defined the origin and filled out the
missing sub-fields in the SOA).

However my first example is probably more like what you really want.
I.e. the one which also had separate "www" and "mail" hostnames and
associated records.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>