Re: O/T [Exim] Outlook 2000 and Express

Author: Andrew D
To: John Burnham, Brent L Johnson, exim-users
Subject: Re: O/T [Exim] Outlook 2000 and Express
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 1:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Exim] Outlook 2000 and Express

Hi Brent,
Hey all, long time no read ;)

> Has anyone heard of any problems with using pop3 to check email with

Outlook
> 2000 (from an Exim server)? When I POP mail using Outlook Express it works
> just fine with no problems. Then, I try with Outlook 2000 and it connects,
> disconnects, and doesn't download any mail (obviously, I'm testing this

when
> there is email in the mailbox). I've got the same server settings and
> everything in both email clients - just not sure what could be causing

this
> to happen.

As mentioned, this is a pop3 problem.
We had this problem at an ISP I used to work for, we were using pop3d (I
think thats what it was called, can't quite remember), we changed to another
POP3 server (solid-pop3d to be precise) and the problem was reduced
considerably, ie instead of 4-5 support calls a day it went to 1-2 calls a
week.

You could always using some sort of packet sniffing tool to see exactually
what it does.

This definately seems to be a Outlook (not express) problem (not just the 2k
version either),
and as far as I know reinstalling over the top doesn't help. Changing to OE
does though ;)
HTH
cya
Andrew

P.S. exim 4 sounds very sweet :)))) can't wait

--
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite.
Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone.