Re: [Exim] about SMTP callback

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Marc MERLIN
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] about SMTP callback
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> As a side note, I've written:
> http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/nullenvelope.txt
>
> Feel free to re-use and/or suggest improvments.

I've reused it (so far without improvements, but with a proper credit line
added) at

http://www.goldmark.org/email/nullenvelope.txt

Likewise, anyone wishing to use

http://www.goldmark.org/email/badbounce.html

should feel free.

> My only thing about sender-callback is that if we document it too much,
> spammers will eventually bother to setup a domain that has a 20 line shell
> script that accepts the callback and says ok to any RCPT TO :-(

In general the various moves done to detect forgeries have led spammers to
use real people's addresses. This is really just an extension of an
existing problem. Gone are the days when we could simply reject mail with
a header from of User@???.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg