Re: [Exim] blocking senders who don't come from correct host

Author: Dermot Paikkos
To: exim-users
CC: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: Re: [Exim] blocking senders who don't come from correct host
Can't you just do sender_reject_recipients and have a list of the the
abusive addresses in another file?
So:
sender_reject_recipients = "/usr/var/adm/exim/blocked"
with blocked having
globalserv@???
spammer@???

Dp.

On 25 Mar 01, at 0:48, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> *[Jeffrey Goldberg on Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 06:03:21PM -0800]:
> >On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> >> I want to block some emails that have a From or Sender with a
> >> @hotmail.com, @yahoo.com or @aol.com, but don't appear to be from a
> >> hotmail, yahoo or aol host (and are not sent from a mailing list I am
>
> >Why don't you just block all mail that is actually from mindspring? Yes,
>
> Earthlink / Minspring is not that bad (compared to say uunet / sprint ...) :)
> Anyway, this kind of fintering will block lots of legit mail as
>
> 1. It breaks when forwarding mail accounts come into the picture
> [yahoo hands off to bigfoot, bigfoot forwards to a server on which this block exists... result being mail with a yahoo envelope from bigfoot's servers]
>
> When I was at Juno's abuse desk we had a huge problem with frontiernet / gblx doing this kind of filtering ... users of both services bitching to us.
>
> 2. There's also the issue of mail from e-greetings sites, web based feedback forms ... (or mail to web, mail to usenet gateways)
>
>     -s

~~
Dermot Paikkos * dermot@???
Network Administrator @ Science Photo Library
Phone: 0207 432 1100 * Fax: 0207 286 8668