Re: [Exim] Alias Files

Author: Dave Lewney
To: Sujit Choudhury
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Alias Files
Sujit Choudhury wrote:

> We are configuring our E-Mail over here to have two mail servers - one for
> staff and one for students. Our mail hub will be the student server where
> we will also do the virus checking
> The problem is how best to have alias files which would direct the Staff
> E-mail (in the form of I.Surname@???) to the staff server. Staff will
> not have accounts on the mail hub - so all the forwarding will have to be
> done in the config file.
> Can I use LDAP to do this? How efficient will it be? Also if I use
> /etc/aliases file or something like that will it work? I would appreciate
> any input on this.

You can use LDAP to do this and it works fine. Very roughly ...
a) compile Exim with the LDAP libs (eg. Netscape SDK)
b) load your LDAP staff entries with mail-alias and routing-address
entries, eg.
   uid: is100
   mail: I.Surname
   mailroutingaddress: is100@???
c) edit the Exim config:
   i) for incoming mail - search for mail=<lhs>, return
mailroutingaddress
  ii) for outgoing mail - (probably) rewrite From header
                          search for uid=<lhs>, return mail

--
Dave