Re: [Exim] Non root operation

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Non root operation
Piete Brooks <Piete.Brooks@???> probably said:
> > Unless your OS allows non-root users to bind to low ports, this is
> > impossible. It must have root privs, however briefly, to bind to port 25.
> `impossible' is a bit rash :-)

In the context of the question, no it isn't.

> exim can be invoked from a super server such as inetd.
> In this case, exim does not need to bind to a priv port.
> As such, exim need never have root privs.

Not what was asked for.

> Another option would be to listen on a non-priv port, and have a port
> redirector listening on port 25.

Not what was asked for.

> I suspect I could come up with others :-))

All answers to a different question ... you can indeed work around the
problem in different ways, but that isn't what he asked;

] -Provide exim capability to bind ports
] lower than 1024. (via LIDS or something else)

This is an OS problem, not an exim problem, anyway.

P.

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???