[Exim] Sending to a smarthost conditionally (non-bounce mess…

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Sending to a smarthost conditionally (non-bounce messages)?
Is it possible to configure exim so that most messages are sent
via a smarthost, but some messages (specifically, bounce messages
generate by my system) are sent directly?

I've looked through the FAQ and docs, and I think that I need to
set up something like in http://www.exim.org/FAQ.html#TOC66 , but
I'm not sure exactly how to configure it.

The reason why: I'm my own mail server on my ADSL-connected
machine, with a dynamic DNS. My ISP's IPs (or at least some of
them) are on the MAPS DUL, so I need to use my ISP as a smarthost
to get my mail delivered consistantly. However, my ISPs SMTP server
is rejecting my bounce messages -- I think they must reject all
outgoing mail with envelope-from:<>. So if I send bounces directly,
at least some of my bounces will get through.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
- Marc