RE: [Exim] retry rules for bounce messages

Top Pagina
Auteur: Bernard Stern
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: RE: [Exim] retry rules for bounce messages
On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:28:22 +0000 (GMT) Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 O.Cook@??? wrote:

>> I was under the impression that ignore_errmsg_errors_after only applies
>> to frozen messages. Is that not the case?

> I think there may be some confusion. Are you asking about temporary or
> permanent errors?

> . For temporary errors, bounce messages are treated no differently from
> any other messages. The retry rules apply to the *recipient*, not to
> the sender. There is no way of using different rules for bounce
> messages that get temporary errors. I haven't previously heard anybody
> suggest different cutoff times for bounce messages that are getting
> temporary errors. You could do it, with some difficulty, by making use
> of "condition" testing $sender_address and $message_age, I think. It's
> messy in Exim 3 because there isn't a smartuser router. It will be easier
> in Exim 4. Personally, I wouldn't like to risk chopping a "genuine"
> bounce message too early.

Yes, this is exactly what I have done for moderated newsgroups bounce
messages. My MTA is listed among the moderators.isc.org and
moderators.uu.net MXes. Many news servers are not configured for
mail, so they don't even listen on port 25. Sometimes the message
forwarded to one of the moderated groups aliases does bounce,
but the sending host will never accept the bounced message. So
I have given such messages a 12h window to try to make it through.
This does indeed work well. (The first idea was to have two retry
rules
^news@([^@]+)$         refused     F,2h,15m; G,6h,2h,1.5
^news@([^@]+)$         *           F,2h,15m; G,6h,2h,1.5; F,12h,1h
but as Philip mentionned, the localpart of non local messages is
not taken into account for such matches. Here is the router getting
rid of such bounces:

news_bounce:
driver = lookuphost
domains = *
local_parts = news : usenet
condition = ${if and {{> {$message_age}{43200}}{eq {$sender_address}{}}} {yes}{no}}
transport = trash
#
# To get rid of NDRs to news servers not configured for mail. Such mails
# result from the moderated newsgroups aliases. 43200 s = 12 h

HTH,

Bernard Stern, SWITCH

        mail: SWITCH Head Office       a          Tel: +41 1 268 1520
              Limmatquai 138           n          Fax: +41 1 268 1568
              CH-8001 Zurich           d        e-mail: stern@???