RE: [Exim] retry rules for bounce messages

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: O.Cook
CC: exim-users
Asunto: RE: [Exim] retry rules for bounce messages
On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 O.Cook@??? wrote:

> I was under the impression that ignore_errmsg_errors_after only applies
> to frozen messages. Is that not the case?

I think there may be some confusion. Are you asking about temporary or
permanent errors?

. For temporary errors, bounce messages are treated no differently from
any other messages. The retry rules apply to the *recipient*, not to
the sender. There is no way of using different rules for bounce
messages that get temporary errors. I haven't previously heard anybody
suggest different cutoff times for bounce messages that are getting
temporary errors. You could do it, with some difficulty, by making use
of "condition" testing $sender_address and $message_age, I think. It's
messy in Exim 3 because there isn't a smartuser router. It will be easier
in Exim 4. Personally, I wouldn't like to risk chopping a "genuine"
bounce message too early.

. For permanent errors (e.g. 550 Unknown user), bounce messages get
frozen (unless ignore_errmsg_errors is set) and indeed it is in that
situation that ignore_errmsg_errors_after operates.