[Exim] Attachment Problems

Autor: Craig
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Attachment Problems
Hi there,

I am having a problem which I am not sure is related to exim but it does
seem to be the culprit. We have a new FreeBSD 4 server which is a P2 with
good SCSI drives and 200MB of RAM.

When people on the LAN try to send an email with an attachment of over about
200KB the email client (a variety of Outlook, Outlook Express and Netscape
Mail) times' out. No message is recorded in the log and the mail never gets
sent. Incoming email with large attachments works OK, as does outgoing
email via a dialup link to this same server.

FTP, Web and POP mail on this server all work OK, as does outgoing mail with
no attachments. We are about to revert back to sendmail, but would prefer
not to. The network is running at 100MB/s and I thought that maybe the exim
program is receiving too many connections at once and can't handle the speed
which would explain why dialup accounts can send but not LAN accounts.

Anything else I can try? I can post the configuration file if required, but
because the problem is a timeout, the log files will not show anything to
anyone. The host is a moderately busy mail server, but I would think that
it is overpowered for the maount of email that goes through it and
previously it ran sendmail in the same configuration without problems.

cheers
craig