Re: [Exim] How to get rid of bounces on a secondary MX?

Página Inicial
Autor: Greg A. Woods
Para: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] How to get rid of bounces on a secondary MX?
[ On Monday, February 5, 2001 at 04:35:24 (+0100), Marc Haber wrote: ]
> Subject: [Exim] How to get rid of bounces on a secondary MX?
>
> we have a machine A that serves as secondary MX for some domains, and
> as primary MX for some other domains. A does not do any local
> deliveries, everything is passed on to other machines via SMTP.
>
> When a mail from outside comes in on A, and the primary MX for that
> domain refuses the message, our postmaster gets the bounce.

At this point in the history of the Internet I think it's important to
realize that one should not use any secondary MXes unless you own and
control thos servers entirely and can make it honour exactly the same
filtering rules as your primary.

An independent secondary MX is simply not necessary in a fully connected
Internet, no matter how unreliable the primary might be.

Of course all kinds of caveats apply to these generalities, but if
you're a secondary MX and you're having problems with mail that's
supposed to be for someone else, or if you're having problems with your
secondary MXes, then you probably shouldn't be or be using any secondary
MXes, or at least not the ones you are.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>