[Exim] Authenticating bounces

Página Inicial
Autor: Marian Eichholz
Para: exim-users
Assunto: [Exim] Authenticating bounces
[Sorry, Philip, for the missing CC to the list. Here it comes]

Philip Hazel wrote:

> > When Exim generates a bounce mail, the process has no
> > authenticated_id and no authenticated_sender.
>
> Both of those values relate to the authentication of incoming SMTP
> connections. Since a bounce message is not received via an SMTP
> connection, authenticated_id is not set. However, authenticated_sender
> should be set to the user name under which Exim runs, qualified by the
> value of qualify_domain. Usually this will be something like
> exim@???. However, this happens only if you compile Exim with
> support for SMTP authentication so that the value can be passed on in
> outgoing messages.

Thank You for this explanation. I hoped so, too, but in fact, it is not.
I finally found a reason in the bounce invocation parameters,
particularly the "-f <>". This breaks (with 3.22) intentionally the
condition for setting the sender_local-Flag (and the authentication
IDs). Normally however it authenticates local feeds implicitly.

> What are you trying to achieve? What is the real question? If you are
> trying to identify locally-generated bounce messages you can check for
> $sender_address being empty and $sender_host_address also being empty.

Ok, this is a good point, if I only wanted to fiddle with bounce mail
headers or something like that.

The original idea however is to start a sender authentication chain for
bounces with the Daemon, that lasts until the delivery particularly in a
distributed mailer, like that of any other locally fed mail. Since the
local feed is not authenticated with 3.22, the MAIL-AUTH parameter
cannot reach the next hop. That's all.

Yours sincerely

Marian Eichholz

--
freenet.de AG          Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Gerhard Schmid
Deelbögenkamp 4c       Vorstand: Eckhard Spoerr (Vors.), Axel Krieger