Re: [Exim] Delaying local mail

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: David Watson
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Delaying local mail
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, David Watson wrote:

>    I've been asked to set up a mailing list (we use majordomo) which will
> take posts at any time but only deliver them between certain hours, mail
> outside those hours is to be send as individual messages at the "opening hour".

>    I've looked at a few things, like using cron to swap the system filter,
> saving the files out then attempting to reinject them.

Thinking off the top of my head:

1. System filter can inspect the time for itself by looking at $tod_log,
for example. You could (for example) make it "deliver" to an alias that
turns into :defer: when the time is wrong.

2. You could use "condition" directly to run directors/routers when the
time is right - but getting the "defer" otherwise is a bit messy because
only a smartuser director can do it easily. So you have to fudge a
router to turn the address into a local one. (This kind of thing is
going to be much easier if/when I get Exim 4 implemented.)

3. You could do it outside Exim altogether, and get majordomo to deliver
to a program/script that you write which either stuffs the messages into
a file, or passes them on to Exim. A cron job empties the file at the
appropriate time.