Re: [Exim] autogenerated aliases

Autor: Jeffrey Goldberg
A: randall ehren
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] autogenerated aliases
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, randall ehren wrote:

> hi,
> is it possible to build aliases automatically via mysql?
>
> let's say i want an alias to be all@???, all my users are in
> mysql, so the lookup would be "select local_part, domain from users,
> domains where users.did = domains.did", but how would you set this up in
> the exim configuration file?

There will be people on the list who will tell you (I've seen examples
like that posted before), but unless you really really need to have your
email aliases up-to-date to the second, I would recommend that you not do
it that way.

Instead have a script that pulls the info out of SQL database and
generates the exim database files that exim uses directly. It will be
faster and safer. make and cron are wonderful tools.

This way, if your mysql server goes out, you can still deliver mail. I
like a system where mail "works" as long as you've got DNS. (I've put
"works" in quotes, because you might end up queuing if your file store is
out for delivery, or if your route to the world is gone.)

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html