Re: [Exim] Exim 4 ideas.

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Mark Baker
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Exim 4 ideas.
On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 04:30:37AM +0200, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> > I would really like to see a module interface so that I could write my own
> > modules into exim that could "interfere" or "observe" the transactions as they
> > happen. Think ala Apache (2.0).
>
> I'm sure not all OSes have on-demand loading of random shared
> libraries. Some have no dynamically linked shared libraries at
> all. Maybe there should be just a mechanism to write your own
> module and compile it into Exim.

I however want on-demand loading of modules from shared libraries for a
different reason.

As the maintainer of the debian package of exim I get a lot of mails asking
me to compile in the mysql and/or pgsql lookup drivers (normally mysql - I
don't know why it's more popular than pgsql but it does seem to be). I would
like to; debian policy says that I should compile in all optional features
unless there is an over-riding reason not to.

In this case there is what I consider to be an over-riding reason not to:
exim is a priority "important" package[1] and including those lookup drivers
woudl bring two big databases, or at very least their client libraries, into
important, which I don't want to do.

[1] Definition is summarised as "The important packages are just a bare
minimum of commonly-expected and necessary tools."