Re: [Exim] Unqualified local names

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: mike
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Unqualified local names
On 11 Jan 2001, mike wrote:

> 4. I want local users to be able to send to local parts only eg: mike
> rather than mike@???

Exim works only with fully qualified RFC822 addresses, i.e. user@domain.
It does allow some incoming addresses not to have a domain, but it
always adds a domain as soon as it sees such addresses. The domain it
adds is set by qualify_recipient (which defaults to qualify_domain if
not explicitly set).

There is no way round this. Internally, there is no provision for
handling local parts without a domain.

> My current problem is that when I try to send mail to an existing user
> (using evolution - the gnome mailer) which is set up for this approach I
> get RCPT TO response error: illegal seek: mail not sent
>
> If I put a fqdn address in the mua it works.

OK, so it is sending the message using something other than the command
line interface, which allows for unqualified local parts by default. I
guess it is sending the messages to 127.0.0.1 or something. (Check by
looking at Exim's log.) You can set

receiver_unqualified_hosts = 127.0.0.1

If you want to permit unqualified addresses on this address. Then set
qualify_recipient to whatever domain you want.