[Exim] help with pipe

Author: Chad Leigh, Pengar Enterprises, Inc. and Shire.Net LLC
To: exim-users
CC: chad
Subject: [Exim] help with pipe
Hi

Using exim 2.04 on FreeBSD 3.x . All transports/directors/routers are
default and enabled for pipe / userforward.

I am trying to set up a simple piping .forward to run messages through gpg
(GnuPG) and then to mail them on to another address. The commands work in
a shell but not in the pipe.

here is the .forward

| /usr/local/bin/gpg -o - --armor --quiet --no-secmem-warning --yes

--always-trust -r chad@??? -e | mail -s "test message"
chad@???

If I run this at the command line (ie, cut and paste all but initial |) it
works. This is what I get when it runs from the .forward:

-----

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
following address(es) failed:

  quest@???:
    generated | /usr/local/bin/gpg -o - --armor --quiet --no-secmem-warning
--yes --always-trust -r chad@??? -e | mail -s "test message"
chad@???

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ | /usr/local/bin/gpg -o - --armor --quiet --no-secmem-warning --yes
--always-trust -r chad@??? -e | mail -s "test message"
chad@??? ------

usage: gpg [options] --encrypt [filename]

I plead ignorance. What is special about the pipe. The exim log gives:

2000-12-11 22:53:44 145iNk-0006Mx-00 <= nobody@??? U=nobody
P=local S=1658
2000-12-11 22:53:44 145iNk-0006Mx-00 ** | /usr/local/bin/gpg -o - --armor
--quiet --no-secmem-warning --yes --always-trust -r chad@??? -e |
mail -s "test message" chad@??? <quest@???>
D=userforward T=address_pipe: Child process of address_pipe transport
returned 2 from command: /usr/local/bin/gpg

Any hints appreciated.

Thanks
Chad

Pengar Enterprises, Inc. and Shire.Net LLC
Web and Macintosh Consulting -- full service web hosting
Chad Leigh
chad@???            chad@???