[Exim] Replacing Netscape Messaging w/ Exim and mailbox form…

Author: Todd Jagger
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Replacing Netscape Messaging w/ Exim and mailbox format questions
Hello,

I am in the position of migrating our company's mail server from
Netscape Messaging Server to Exim. And I'm very glad to be doing
so. :-) No prob in switching out the MTA and the user accounts, but
I'm befuddled with trying to deal with the existing mailboxes for the
accounts so the users don't lose all their mail, and their imap
accounts still work.

NMS uses some sort of maildir format by creating mailboxes in
/var/spool/mailbox/${local_part}/inbox. Within the mailboxes each
message is a separate file. IMAP users can create mailboxes anywhere
within the main $local_part directory. The mailboxes are not owned by
the user but by the mta user account and nobody as the group. I'm
having a hard time getting Exim to duplicate this behavior, and maybe
it can't, I dunno. Maybe that's a less than desirable configuration in
the first place and it would be better to do something else while I'm
under the hood.

Has anyone done a migration from Messaging Server to Exim that could
give me some pointers for transition?

IF it's not possible to preserve the existing mailbox structure for the
users and I have to choose a different format; which would be the best
choice for general pop and imap serving of a couple thousand mail
accounts? I realize this is almost like asking unix vs. nt or some
other subjective holy war. I read with much interest last month's
thread "Washington mbx again". And I understand all have their
strengths and weaknesses. I'd just like to make a good decision for
performance and ease of use and maintenance. Philip and others, what
do you like and why?

Thanks for any help provided.

Happy holidays,
Todd