Re: [Exim] Problems with virtual domains

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Rick Morris
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Problems with virtual domains
On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Rick Morris wrote:

> I actually tried using the new_director option in the virtual_rewrite
> director to just pass the address to the virtual director but at that
> point it still goes back through and rechecks the address because it is
> assuming the domain is local (as it should). I tried setting transport =
> remote_smtp at the second director but received this error:
>
> "remote_smtp transport called with no hosts set"
>
> It doesn't look like it's doing any kind of DNS lookup because it still
> thinks it's local. Is there an option to force this or is there some kind
> of director I can write that I can then push this address onto for remote
> delivery?

I've taken a closer look. It seems to me that you have overlooked
another problem. Your configuration turns tking@??? into
tking@???, which then fails, and you want to sort this out by
changing what happens after the rewriting - but if you do make this
work, you are still in trouble for mail that is addressed directly to
tking@???, aren't you? What you need to do is to make
tking@??? work. If you want it to be routed using DNS, then
outpost.com must not be a local domain. Then it will be passed to the
routers and not the directors. An alternative would be to have a
director that passes it to a special smtp transport that has a hosts
setting that chooses an appropriate host somehow.