Re: [Exim] SMTP out with PAM authentication, Debian

Autor: Dave C.
A: jens-ingo brodesser
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] SMTP out with PAM authentication, Debian

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, jens-ingo brodesser wrote:

> At 11:06 -0500 1/12/00, you wrote:
>
> >Actually, it has more to do with the "unknown condition pam" - my guess
> >would be that the exim binary you are using wasn't compiled with pam
> >support. (pam is "pluggable authentication modules" - used extensively
> >by RedHat, and I think Solaris. Either way, its a library for which
> >suport must be compiled into exim in order to use it)
>
> that doesn't seem to be the problem, i already asked the debian
> package maintainer :

Re-read the error-message. Its says "Cant authenticate - unkknown
condition pam".. The exim binary you are using doesn't understand pam,
regardless of what the debian package maintainer says.

> >On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 03:43:34PM +0100, jens-ingo brodesser wrote:
>
> >> i try to configure exim to work with pam authentication and i wonder if the
> >> unstable Debian package is compiled with authorization enabled
> >> (AUTH_CRAM_MD5=yes, AUTH_PLAINTEXT=yes) ?
>
> >Yes it is. So is the stable one.
>
> also the smtp out works partially, i am able to send to local users
> now, remote locations are unreachable though.
>
> the error must be somewhere in these directives :
>
> host_auth_accept_relay = *
> host_accept_relay = localhost: 213.35.95.0/24

Nope, those look like appropriate settings for what you are trying to
do. Sending to local domains is not considered 'relaying', and does not
require relay permission. Relaying is sending from non-local IP
address, to non-local domains, which becuase you can't authenticate
(becuase your exim doesn't seem to support pam), you can't relay.