[Exim] An interesting problem with large spools

Author: Paul Robinson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] An interesting problem with large spools
Hi,

This is not directly related to Exim, but is something one of you guys
might be able to help me with.

One of our customers has received a reasonable amount of mail over the
last 24 hours. About 90Mb worth to be exact (over 134 reported
messages). Now, we work in a POP3 environment and qpopper can't work in
server mode, due to the fact that our past experience has shown mail has
gone "missing" when qpopper is in server mode on our systems.

Therefore, qpopper is copying the enire spool over to .username.pop and
working on it there before moving left messages back over to the spool.
The user has an MS Exchange server on-site with some POP3 handling code,
and this times out in the time it takes to move the file (apparently).
Therefore, the user can't pick up mail.

Therefore, I'm wondering if there is a package out there that take the
spool, seperate it out into seperate messages that I can then drip-feed
back through Exim at a slow but steady rate to allow the user to pick up
mail. Either that, or some way of being able to pull the spool out, and
force a direct SMTP delivery to the Exchange server by hand.

If any of you have any ideas, please let me know. Even better, a pointer
to a script that will do what I'm asking. I'm digging around /usr/ports
on FreeBSD but can't see anything obvious.

At the moment our only solution is literally split the spool manually,
and I don't really fancy that, as I would have to put exim into queueing
only mode so that weird things don't happen when I'm cp'ing things
around.

--