Re: [Exim] Exim does unwanted DNS lookups for LAN

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Moritz Schulte
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim does unwanted DNS lookups for LAN
On 27 Nov 2000, Moritz Schulte wrote:

> Well, I wrote a small C program, which calls gethostbyname() with my
> gateway's hostname "orion.sc" as parameter. This code doesn't
> establishs a internet connections. So, i think, Exim does something
> else than just calling gethostbyname().

No, it doesn't. Or at least, it shouldn't.

> expanded hostlist="orion.sc" options=byname
>
> ----------- here, Exim triggers the connection ------------

Well, if Exim were calling the DNS directly itself, it would reflect the
DNS queries and results it is getting, because you have got -d12 set. It
has not done that. This means that the DNS query MUST have been
triggered by the call to gethostbyname(), not by Exim itself.