Re: [Exim] What's a reasonable value for message_body_visibl…

Author: Michael Stevens
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] What's a reasonable value for message_body_visible?
On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 09:45:36AM +0000, Steve Platt wrote:
> We raised the default value of message_body_visible from 500 to 5000 when
> putting in the system_filter to scan for windows executables a while back.
>
> It spotted a Navidad.exe recently but not yesterday; when the attachment
> came about 45k into the message. Obviously I am thinking of increasing
> this limit but don't like the idea of slugging a nice effecient mta by
> forcing it to read every message (after all, the users don't bother!).
>
> So I'm looking for that wonderful yardstick, "what most people use"!
>
> Is 50k reasonable/ How about 500k, 5M, etc?
>
> I guess what makes navidad different is that it replaces attachments
> anywhere in the message, rather than very near the beginning ...
>
> Any thoughts welcome, thanks in advance,

There will always be a limit beyond which you won't catch something.

What I'd really like to be able to do is have a constantly running daemon
that I can pass messages to, and which can pass them back with an
indication of whether they were accepted/rejected/etc. Like current
anti-virus checking, but without the overhead of having to start an
expensive virus checking process for every message.

Given that SMTP already seems to exist, I guess what I'm proposing is
a small daemon that can do nothing but accept messages, process them, and
spit them back out to a single host.

Hmm, I think I need to sit down with perl and a large quantity of tuits.

Michael