[Exim] Exim configuration for dial-up workstation

Author: Gian Piero Ascenso
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim configuration for dial-up workstation
Hi!

I'm a new user of Linux and Debian, and I've a question about
the configuration of exim. (By the way, where should I look for it?)
I run a 'potato' box with a dial-up connection to a local ISP and I use
Netscape Messenger to handle mail.

With Netscape Messenger I can keep on my workstation a different user
name
from the one I use to log in to the ISP server. This works fine, but I
must stay
connected the whole time. Moreover, I don't like Messenger's
functionalities.
I'd rather base the following pattern on mutt 1.2.5:

1. dial the ISP to establish a connection
2. download new mail from the POP server
3. disconnect from the ISP
4. read mail, reply to some, write new messages
5. dial again the ISP to re-establish a connection
6. hand over my new messages to the SMTP server run by the ISP
7. disconnect

To complicate things further, I'd like to keep the user name at my
potato
box different from the user name I use to log in to the ISP. If I try to

add an user with the same string I use with the ISP I get an error msg.

Anyway, I've tried to send an e-mail to myself to check mutt, but I get
this other error:

------------------
recipients. The following address(es) failed:

  gianpiero.ascenso@???:
    unknown local-part "gianpiero.ascenso" in domain "tin.it"
------------------

I suspect the different user names are the problem. Is there a way to
fix this
whithout creating a new user called ``gianpiero.ascenso'' in my
workstation?

Probably some trick to rewrite the incoming address would circumvent
this error,
but what should I do and where? There's a lot of man pages to read, and
I get lost
with details I don't grasp perfectly, fancy fitting them together
meaningfully!

Can somebody please suggest me how to set up the above pattern? I've
got
exim 3.12 and fetchmail, plus --I guess-- the normal tools that come
with Debian
2.2, and those I could apt-get.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

                                    --Gian Piero

   "If I see further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
                                        (adapted from Isaac Newton)