[Exim] Compiling Exim on Irix 6.5 w/ Netscape Directory Serv…

Author: Todd Jagger
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Compiling Exim on Irix 6.5 w/ Netscape Directory Server
Hi all,

Having a hard time getting Exim to compile on SGI Irix 6.5.x with
support for Netscape Directory Server LDAP.

First, using the supplied Makefile-IRIX65 one gets:

cc -c -O2 -OPT:Olimit=0 -I. os.c
cc1: Invalid option `-OPT:Olimit=0'
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Okay, so I comment out that part and compile works fine up to:

<lots o' compiler output snipped>

cc -c -O2 -I. tree.c
cc -c -O2 -I. verify.c
awk '{ print ($1+1) }' cnumber.h > cnumber.temp
/bin/rm -f cnumber.h; mv cnumber.temp cnumber.h
cc -c -O2 version.c
/bin/rm -f exim
cc -o exim accept.o child.o daemon.o dbfn.o debug.o deliver.o direct.o
directory.o dns.o drtables.o exim.o expand.o filter.o globals.o
header.o host.o log.o match.o moan.o os.o parse.o queue.o readconf.o
retry.o rewrite.o route.o search.o smtp_in.o smtp_out.o spool_in.o
spool_out.o store.o string.o tod.o transport.o tree.o verify.o
version.o \
libident/libident.a pcre/libpcre.a directors/directors.a \
routers/routers.a transports/transports.a lookups/lookups.a \
auths/auths.a \
-lelf \
-L/usr/lib -lldap -llber
ld32: WARNING 84: auths/auths.a is not used for resolving any symbol.
ld32: FATAL 12: Expecting n32 objects: /usr/lib/libelf.a(nlist.o) is
o32.
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

FWIW, these errors are identical using either Netscape Directory Server
LDAP libraries and includes or OpenLDAP libraries and includes (from
freeware.sgi.com), and the same using either cc or gcc for the
compiler.

I know this is probably more of an Irix problem than an Exim problem,
but I was wondering if anyone else out there could give some pointers
about compiling Exim under Irix 6.5.

The Idea here is trying to dump Netscape Messaging Server 3.6 for Exim
as our MTA, but all our user configs and such are stored in Netscape
Directory Server. Getting a compiled Exim would seem to be the first
step....

Anyone here have any experience in performing such a migration and care
to share their experiences?

Thanks in advance,
Todd Jagger