Re: [Exim] Delivering mail based on a regular expression

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Thorpe
CC: exim-users, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Delivering mail based on a regular expression
On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, David Thorpe wrote:

> Sorry if this is a basic question but I hope someone might
> be able to point me in the right direction. I'd like to
> deliver mail using the pipe transport if the localpart
> of a virtual domain matches a certain criteria, such as
>
>    subscribe-*@<localdomain>

special_director:
driver = smartuser
domains = <localdomain>
local_parts = ^(un)?subscribe-\d+$
transport = special_transport

> Where * might be a series of digits. I was a bit confused as to what the
> best option for this might be:
>
> 1. a system-wide filter? I'd prefer not to do this as it's only
>    meant for a certain

Indeed, that is wrong. You want this to operate per-address.

> 2. entries in an alias file for the domain? I think lsearch* lookups
>    only allow "*" as a catch-all after trying other combinations,
>    I didn't really understand how partial-lsearch works.

Aliasing works only for fixed (sub)strings, but you *could* use an
aliasfile director, with a setting of

suffix = -*

However, that wouldn't do any checking on the form of the suffix.

> 3. something else?

Smartuser is your friend.