Re: [Exim] queuerunner

Author: Phil Pennock
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] queuerunner
On 2000-10-27 at 23:55 +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian gifted us with:
> Compile some kind of mailing list manager (majordomo /
> mailman) for this.

The original mail does not state whether or not this is already done.
But in what way would adding one, if not already present, help? Exim
still has to send out the mails. The problem is that it's going too
slowly; how would adding a list-manger, if not already present, speed
things up? The only significant change which it could introduce would
be to slow things down, by splitting up the addresses so that Exim can't
see that it can optimise by delivering multiple messages in the same
SMTP transaction (multiple RCPT TO for one message).

Whilst I don't know, I strongly suspect that a mailing-list manager IS
being used, and it's one of those ones which encodes the recipient
address in the SMTP FROM header, so that it can handle bounces more
easily. This of course requires that each message go to only one
recipient at a time, which slows things down significantly.

Gaah ...
--
Civilisation: where they cut down the trees and name streets after them.