Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH problems

Author: Tom Samplonius
To: Jens Lang
CC: ph10, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH problems
<-- Warning: charset 'X-UNKNOWN' is not supported -->

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Jens Lang wrote:

> Hi Philip,
>
> ---Reply to mail from Philip Hazel about [Exim] SMTP AUTH problems
>
> >> I?m having problems in using the SMTP AUTH feature implemented in exim.
> > The server you are connecting to is broken. The correct syntax it should
> > be using is
> >    SMTP<< 250-charente.de
> >           250-AUTH LOGIN
> >                   ^
> >                   ^
> >                   ^
> >           250-PIPELINING
> >           250 8BITMIME
> > See RFC 2554, section 3.
> Thank you very much for your fast reply. I had also took a glance at this
> rfc and told my uplink?s system admin about this, but he could not believe
> it ("qmail is well known for always being RFC compliant"). With your
> opinion it will be much easier to convince him about this, I suppose. :)

Qmail breaks RFCs in other areas. It also doesn't correct delay about
certain delivery errors, it just retries with out delay hammering the poor
mail server!

Also, I don't believe that SMTP AUTH is a standard part of Qmail. It
was probably a patch, and probably not a very good one. There might be
multiple SMTP AUTH patches for Qmail.

Tom