Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH problems

Author: Jens Lang
To: ph10
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP AUTH problems
Hi Philip,

---Reply to mail from Philip Hazel about [Exim] SMTP AUTH problems

>> I´m having problems in using the SMTP AUTH feature implemented in exim.
> The server you are connecting to is broken. The correct syntax it should
> be using is
>    SMTP<< 250-charente.de
>           250-AUTH LOGIN
>                   ^
>                   ^
>                   ^
>           250-PIPELINING
>           250 8BITMIME
> See RFC 2554, section 3.

Thank you very much for your fast reply. I had also took a glance at this
rfc and told my uplink´s system admin about this, but he could not believe
it ("qmail is well known for always being RFC compliant"). With your
opinion it will be much easier to convince him about this, I suppose. :)

Still, there is the question if you have never heard about others having
the same problems like I had? qmail is AFAIK a wide spread mailer, isn´t
it? I saw several other servers (here in Germany, though) using it.
Wouldn´t it be worth a thought to make exim kinda "tolerant among bugs"
like this one?

Other opinions on the list?

Jens, Waiblingen, Germany
Phone: +49-700-JENSLANG ++ Fax: +49-7151-565718
Aus Deutschland : 0700-53675264