Re: [Exim] POP3 Daemon

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
Para: Corin Hartland-Swann
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] POP3 Daemon
cdhs@??? said:
> My question is: can anyone recommend a POP3 daemon that will
> definately handle the former, and hopefully the latter as well?

I would strongly advise considering IMAP connectivity as well as POP
*especially* if this is for an office like environment (ISP IMAP
support is a different issue).

In which case I would probably look at Cyrus IMAPd (along with the
cyrus SASL) which seems to work well in practice and scares me much
less than the code in WU-IMAPd. Not sure if it handles non-clear POP
auth, but pretty sure it can be used with SSL. Remember all the
non-clear password schemes require a cleartext password to be stored on
the server end (unless anyone has implemented OPIE or S/KEY) which is a
different risk element.

Alternatively I would look at the Courier IMAP server, and also use
qmail or maybe solid pop with that (for some reason there is no pop
client with Courier). That handles MD5 auth. several types of auth
database, SSL/TLS. It also combines with a pretty neat web front end
and a delivery filter. The coolest part is that if you run all three
of these you can then use the web front end to edit your filters
without giving people more access to the mail server. Its filtering
support for dummies!

    Nigel.

[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]