[Exim] thinking of replacing eximon

Author: Steve Haslam
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] thinking of replacing eximon
Hi folks,

When I first started using Exim, I used eximon to keep an eye on what
it was doing. However, since then I've discontinued this because:

1. eximon needs to be run as root/mail on the server, and needs the X
libraries on the server...

2. eximon is fine for monitoring one machine, but 3?

So, I finally decided to have a think about a way of replacing it with
something that suited me better. The first thing to do, as I saw it,
was to replace the single monitor program with a client/server
pair. This would allow a client to connect to multiple servers, and
remove the requirement for the server to have the display libraries
installed- clearing the way to have fancier clients written (e.g. for
Gnome/KDE).

I've made a start on this- I've got a server that monitors the log
files, and I've written a simple curses-based client that mixes the
output from several servers together.

If anyone is interested, the source package is at
http://www.debian.org/~araqnid/exim_status-0.2.tar.gz

It's written in C++.... My C++ is somewhat shaky, I'm afraid :|
However, I've tried to write a class that does most of the work of
communicating with the server, which is just extended by supplying
handlers for printing a log line, updating the queue status...

All comments appreciated. (Even if it's "Your idea is fundamentally
flawed because...." :})

Tested with: Linux, Solaris 7; GCC 2.95.2; ncurses. In theory, will
work on anything similar....

SRH
--
+               Steve Haslam               |      W: +44-207-447-1839      +
+      Production Engineer, Excite UK      |      M: +44-7775-645618       +