Re: [Exim] (no subject)

Author: Chris Bayliss
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] (no subject)

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> > I am delighted that someone wants to actually use this feature[1],
>
> Me too. I was saying only today that I didn't think anybody did.
>
> > $sn0 - $sn9: These variables are copies of the values of the $n0 - $n9
> > accumulators that were current at the end of the system filter file. This
> > allows a system filter file to set values that can be tested in users'
> > filter files. For example, a system filter could set a value indicating how
> > likely it is that a message is junk mail.
>
> Something else a system filter can do is add header lines to a message.
> These can be seen in directors, routers, and transports. (And the
> transports could take them away again.)

Thanks. Adding a header looks like the best way forwards. What we are
attempting to do is decide which messages we need to virus scan.
We're refusing executable attachments anyway in the system filter,
which stops a lot of viruses as well as other rubbish. However, we
wanted to extend anti-virus measures to virus scan other attachment
types which could contain viruses (eg xls doc html). We needed
something that could be set according to certain criteria and tested
for by the router which uses amavis. We looked at the $sn0 but it
appeared that these were only available inside filters.

It may be that we end up scanning all the others anyway, but I'd like
a way of introducing this gradually in case we hit performance
problems.

Chris Bayliss