Re: [Exim] accept unresolvable domains feature?

Author: Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] accept unresolvable domains feature?
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Melanie Lampert wrote:
>
> > Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous post "Random Bounces".
> >
> > My other question is:
> >
> > is there a way to tell Exim to not try to resolve recipient domains, and
> > just try to send mail without the DNS check? I've heard that Sendmail

has a
> > feature "accept_unresolvable_domains"... is there an equivalent in Exim?
>
> Er, well, send them where? It has to lookup an MX record in the DNS to
> figure out what host to send it to.. If it can't find the domain in the
> DNS, how is it supposed to know where to send it?

You might accept (and onward deliver) unresovlable domains if your
system was using what sendmail calls a "smart host", ie. if you are just
chcuking all mail out to some other (known) host.

The problem is how do you "accept unresolvable domains" when you
don't know that they are unresolvable until you try them? I gess the answer
is you do like sendmail and don't even look them up in the first place.

I have exim machines which use smart hosting by defining a route list
with an entry in the form "* post.thorcom.com bydns_a" which works
well but domain lookups are still performed.

Perhaps what you are looking for is true sendmail-style smart host
operation?

Mike