[Exim] exim not interpreting ESMTP errors?

Author: Jon Paxton
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim not interpreting ESMTP errors?
Our main mail server is currently running exim 3.14, and I'm seeing a lot
of bounces being returned from one remote mail server in particular:

===
recipients. The following address(es) failed: Ann.Boylen@???:

SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<debbie.betteley@???>:
host mail.letec.co.uk [194.129.189.164]: 503 You must say full HELO first 212.13.193.20
===

This mail server intially welcomes a connection with "ESMTP" in the
header, and as such exim attempts an EHLO, to which the server responds
with just "502" (understood but not implemented). It appears that exim is
ignoring this and continuing to try "MAIL FROM..." hence the above
messages are appearing. The RFC states that after a 502 the client smtp
should either QUIT or HELO.

Is this an exim bug, or a bug in the remote SMTP server?

--
Jon Paxton. Systems Administrator, Konnex Networks.
email: jon@??? web: http://www.knx.net.uk/