Re: [Exim] user%domain@domain.com

Author: Dave C.
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Brian K. West, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] user%domain@domain.com
I've been thinking about this a bit recently, and I think the _right_
way to do this would have been to include a TURN-like concept, which
would be initiated by the *receiver-SMTP* host, that could be used
specifically for sending extended nondelivery reports such as the
information below. This would relieve the receiver of having to route
the return address and initiate a new connection to send the bounce, it
would be taken care of right while the sender was connected waiting for
the 200 code at the end of its DATA. If the sender didn't support the
TURN reponse, then it could get a 500 code instead of the 200. This
might be something which could be an ESMTP extension in exim (and if it
caught on, other MTA's). It would have to laid out clearly in an RFC of
course, and would have a long adoption time, but it just might be
doable..