Re: [Exim] System filter

Author: Dave C.
To: Sean Bushby
CC: Exim Mailing list
Subject: Re: [Exim] System filter
On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Sean Bushby wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> You might all find this dumb, but I have tried to make it work and nothing happen.
> The system_filter.exim file has the # Exim Filter at the top, so I assume at can be used as a .forward to filter. Meaning I can therefore tailor it to restrict as many attachment as I want, am I correct in saying this or completely wrong.
>
> Cause I tried it and the attachment all went through, none were bounced
>
> Can't one specify instead of
>
>         message_filter = /conf/exim/system_filter.exim
>         message_body_visible = 5000

> to be something like
>
>         message_filter = /home/$user/system_filter.exim
>         message_body_visible = 5000

> would this cause it to read the filter files each person directory rather than just one filter file, or does the $user make it look for only the filter int he roots dir due to exim being run as root. Maybe change it to $local_part ???

The system filter applies to all messages, not just those delivered
locally. For example, it would include a message sent from an Outlook
user, that was using your server as an SMTP relay (assumedly with
permission), to send mail, with a sender address of someuser@???
(presumably they have an account there) to an address such as
johndoe@???.. What would you want $user (or $local_part) to be
replaced with in that case?

Now, if you want filtering for messages being delivered to local users,
use the forwardfile director driver, and specify filter=true in it..