Re: [Exim] malformed address confusion

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Don Hayward
CC: Dave C., exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] malformed address confusion
On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Don Hayward wrote:

> Unfortunately, this description of the situation is inaccurate. Until a
> few days ago, we were using smail as our MTA and mail to this address was
> being delivered without problem, therefore, this is a deliverable address,
> in spite of the obvious violations of standard.
>
> My current task is to figure out a way to restore this facility to my
> user.

As the relevant MX record is a wild card, are you absolutely sure that
this specific domain is necessary? It may be that the MTA that receives
this mail pays no attention to any part of the domain that preceeds
ah.org. In which case, your user can mail to xxxx.ah.org. Of course,
this may not be the case. However, a quick test seems to support my
theory:

$ telnet mail1.ah.org 25
Trying 209.79.214.233...
Connected to mail1.ah.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail1.ah.org GroupWise Internet Agent 5.5.3.1 Ready (C)1993, 1999 Novell, Inc.
ehlo virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk
500 Syntax error
EHLO virgo.cus.cam.ac.uk
500 Syntax error
helo cus.cam.ac.uk
250 mail1.ah.org Ok
mail from:<ph10@???>
250 Ok
rcpt to:<postmaster@???>
250 Ok
quit
221 mail1.ah.org Closing transmission channel
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

Try changing the underscore to a hyphen and see what happens.