Re: [Exim] Adding Users [UPDATE]

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: wokness monster
A: Jeffrey Goldberg
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Adding Users [UPDATE]
Hi,

> For complicated systems (and running an MTA is a complicated system)
> reading the documentation is required. Unfortunately, for something
> like
> this, it is not enough. One needs to know how mail transport works
> in the
> first place. I don't know of a good source for that, although maybe
> the
> DRUMS document may accidently fulfill that role,
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-12.txt
>
> It also requires that you know something about system administration.

Sorry for the lack of knowlegde, but I am still getting into this, having
only set up my own network a few months ago. I have been learning bit
by bit as I go on, I guess I have to sit down with a book and read too.

> > It said for me to be able to get mail I had to add this line to
> > /etc/inetd.conf:
> >
> > smtp stream tcp nowait exim /usr/exim/bin/exim in.exim -bs
>
> That is not the only way to do it. And it is not really what I would
> recommend for normal use. Instead just have exim start with the -bd
> option when the machine boots.
>

> > I did, but for some reason, I still can not get mail. I open Eudora,
> > send a e-mail to wokness@???, and then do this:
> >
> > ironhide# su wokness
> > $ mail
> > No mail for wokness
> > $
>
> What do the exim logs say?
>
> Is Eudora acting as if the mail is sent, or do you see an error from
> that
> end?

This is what I get:

ironhide# ./exim -d9 -bd
Exim version 3.16 debug level 9 uid=0 gid=0
probably Berkeley DB version 1.8x (native mode)
Caller is an admin user
Caller is a trusted user
port = 25
listening on all interfaces
LOG: 0 MAIN
socket bind() to port 25 for address (any) failed: Address already
in use: waiting before trying again

LOG: 0 MAIN
socket bind() to port 25 for address (any) failed: Address already
in use: waiting before trying again

Sep 18 03:17:31 ironhide inetd[21004]: smtp/tcp: bind: Address already
in use
Sep 18 03:17:31 ironhide inetd[21004]: smtp/tcp: bind: Address already
in use

Eudora thinks that the e-mail went out (and it does seem to be able to
send mail beacuse I can revice it on a web-based account).

Also, I am running OpenBSD, and I have changed /etc/mailer.rc to this

sendmail        /usr/exim/bin/exim
send-mail       /usr/exim/bin/exim
mailq           /usr/exim/bin/exim
newaliases      /usr/exim/bin/exim
hoststat        /usr/exim/bin/exim
purgestat       /usr/exim/bin/exim

with a line in rc.conf saying:

sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m"

somone had told me that this would work. But when I do ps, I get this:

ironhide# ps -U root | grep exim
12110 ??  Is      0:00.01 /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m (exim)

I have killed that and restarted /usr/exim/bin/exim -bd -q30m, but that
does not change the situation.

Also, that last error:

Sep 18 03:27:31 ironhide inetd[21004]: smtp/tcp: bind: Address already
in use
Sep 18 03:27:31 ironhide inetd[21004]: smtp/tcp: bind: Address already
in use

comes up frequentally. I have not other line saying SMTP in /etc/inetd.conf.

> > You guys are awsome, I have been trying to get a mail server up for
> 4
> > months (qmail and postfix) and have been unsuccessfull, but you guys
> > already got me sending e-mail, thanks!
>
> People here are remarkably helpful, and I hope that that continues.
> But
> you need to make an effort to learn some system administration skills,
> which the use of exim (or any other MTA) presuposes. I'm sure that
> there
> are plenty of good Unix sysadm books, but I don't specifically know
> of
> any.
>
> I am not trying to be discouraging, it's just that much of what is
> in the
> spec.txt doc and in other sources on running exim assume that you know
> about SMTP, boot time start scripts, inetd.conf and the like.
>
> I'm sure that people will continue to be helpful in response, but please
> try to do your part.
>
> And sorry for nagging, but can you please fix the date/timezone on
> your
> computer (which thinks its in Pacific Dayling Time)? I sort my mail
> by
> sent data, and your responses occasionally preceed what they are
> responding to.
>
> Cheers and I wish you well with this.
>
> Maybe a FAQ/documentation suggestion: point out that running an MTA
> requires certain knowledge as prerequisite and putting in references
> sources for that.

No, actually thanks. I would never have been this fast to jump into
something, but having to use web based e-mail for the past 7-8 months
is horrible, and I wanted a real e-mail address soon as possible. Its
not a excuse though. I will get the O'reilly book that Jim Knoble recommended
as soon as possible.
I will try and do my part, with first reading the file you recommended.

Thanks,
Wokness

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com