Re: [Exim] Broken MX?

Author: Dave C.
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Heinz Ekker, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Broken MX?
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> hekker@??? said:
> > I never knew that there was some restriction, that MX records should
> > only point to names. The only restriction I know is that an MX-Record
> > shouldn't point to a CNAME.
>
> The right hand side of an MX record is a NAME in the RFCs and an IP
> address is invalid.
>

> hekker@??? said:
> > Apart from that, sendmail delivers without complaint. Is exim a bit
> > 'more holy than the pope' here?
>
> Thats a strange analogy for sendmail :-)
>
> This has come up recently, unfortunately its very hard to effectively
> search for phrases like ip address and mx record in the archives so I
> can't actually find the references. I believe Philip was looking at

References as follows:

- RFC974 says:
-
- Each MX matches a domain name with two pieces of data, a preference
- value (an unsigned 16-bit integer), and the name of a host.

- RFC1034 3.6 defines an MX record as follows:
-
-
-                MX              a 16 bit preference value (lower is
-                                better) followed by a host name
-                                willing to act as a mail exchange for
-                                the owner domain.
-

"name", not "address", in both cases.