Re: [Exim] Broken MX?

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Heinz Ekker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Broken MX?
hekker@??? said:
> I never knew that there was some restriction, that MX records should
> only point to names. The only restriction I know is that an MX-Record
> shouldn't point to a CNAME.

The right hand side of an MX record is a NAME in the RFCs and an IP
address is invalid.

hekker@??? said:
> Apart from that, sendmail delivers without complaint. Is exim a bit
> 'more holy than the pope' here?

Thats a strange analogy for sendmail :-)

This has come up recently, unfortunately its very hard to effectively
search for phrases like ip address and mx record in the archives so I
can't actually find the references. I believe Philip was looking at
having an option to dumb down like sendmail :-)
However sendmail is wrong by the letter of the RFCs.

    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]