Re: wishlist item (was: Re: [Exim] Filtering)

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Tabor J. Wells
A: Exim
Asunto: Re: wishlist item (was: Re: [Exim] Filtering)
On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 12:52:20PM +0200,
Phil Pennock <Phil.Pennock@???> is thought to have said:

> On 2000-09-13 at 09:30 +0100, Nigel Metheringham gifted us with:
> >                             and intend when I get time (!) to extend it
> > to allow perl callouts at receive time.  However remember many MTAs
> > don't take permanent error codes at end of DATA so things will get
> > worse - you will actually get the stuff being sent to you several
> > times.   You could just close the link, but then the sender *will* send
> > you the message again... and again...  Since you have had to accept the
> > message already, just throw it now.

> You have perl callouts. And Philip Hazel has noted that "more hooks" is
> on the wishlist.
>
> So if you're already rejecting the mail because it's spam, _you_ _know_
> that the source host has been compromised[1]. None of the "do I trust
> RBL list XYZ?" business. So if you're doing all this, you could add the
> IP to a database which is used for host_reject. Then return a code
> which causes Exim to close the link.
>
> Then clean out the database periodically.

Let's say an earthlink throwaway account spammer sends mail through
earthlink's mail servers (a common enough occurence) then all you've
really succeeded in doing is annoying your users by refusing mail from the
other few million earthlink users. No matter how short a time before you
clean out the database, it's still going to reject more legitimate mail
that spam.

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality