著者: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Leonardo Boselli
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [Exim] Imap for heawy users
You posted to the wrong list, but ...

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Leonardo Boselli wrote:

> I have aboput 30 users, that however keep huge mailboxes (I have
> seen more than 20 MB on inbox, and more than 100 in archives).
> I wish to let them use IMAP .
> I have two alternatives: (OS : Linux , MTA: Exim 3.12 or 3.16 )
> 1) using a machine with a single PII 333 and 128 MB RAM
> 2) using a machine with a duel PII266 and 64 MB RAM
> (The only services will be exim, imap, pop, and apache-ssl only for
> a limited service)

> a) What is the better ???? how much ???

Do your mail users use IMAP and POP properly, or do they POP every 2
minutes? If they establish connections infrequently and mostly use IMAP,
go for more memory, especially with large mailboxes. If they use POP on a
local network pretending to maintain a persistent connection by POPing
every few minutes, then you should shoot them. The login proceedure put a
real strain on the system, but multiple processors might help a bit there.

> b) what imap server would you suggest ???

If you use the UWashington server (which I like), then use the mbx mailbox
format. If you use unix mailbox format you will see big performance and
memory problems. The UW people strongly recommend that you use mbx. Note
that other IMAP servers don't give you as much choice for mail store.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html