Re: [Exim] Message frozen

Author: Andrew
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Message frozen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 5:46 PM

> You configured a domainlist router to send the message to
> gateway.this.domain.com. When it tried to look up the IP address for
> that domain, the lookup failed with a permanent error. As this is a
> manual routing, this is a considered to be a serious error which the
> postmaster needs to know about (maybe you have a typo in your file), and
> there is little point in keeping on trying. So it freezes the message.

ok I follow that, however there isn't a typo and the DNS is resolving it
properly.
would it may be advisable to use an ip instead of a hostname ie
-snip-
to_domain:
driver = domainlist
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = this.domain.com x.x.x.x byaddress
-snip-
or something similar?

> > Any suggestions to stop this these sort of errors from being frozen

would
> > be muchly appreciated.
>
> 1. Don't set up routes to non-existent hosts.

It's not a non-existent host!!!!! DNS logs show NO errors regarding this
domain, the hostname specified in the router does exist and does resolve
in the reverse (PTR). at the time this email failed (well in a 5 min
period) our Pri DNS server resolved 500+ domain requests. If it had fallen
over I would have know about it, as we have continuous system monitoring.

> 2. If you must set up routes to non-existent hosts, and don't want
> freezing, set the host_find_failed option on the router to do something
> else.

U mean try to deliver it some other way, like deliver it to a mailbox or
something?
cya
Andrew

--