Re: [Exim] Two Dialup ISP Connections and Exim

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Mark Wardell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Two Dialup ISP Connections and Exim
On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Mark Wardell wrote:

> I have two ISP accounts which I access through two dial up connections.

Please look in the last few days of list archives for an exchange between
me, Peter Radcliffe (PIR) and Philip Hazel (with some other helpful
participants as well) with a subject about delayed routing.

> I would like to have mail from user1 get forwarded to
> smarthost.isp1.com, and mail from user2 get forwarded to
> smarthost.isp2.com. So the email looks like it is from
> user1@???, or user2@???. I found in the FAQ how I can make
> the smarthost conditional which is cool...

Won't the ISPs allow forged addresses? Do you really need to do that.

> The problem is when I connect to one isp1.com and use exim's runq, it
> processes the whole queue, and will try to forward user2's email
> through smarthost.isp2.com. smarthost.isp2.com refuses this connection
> because it does not originate from one of it's dailup ppp connections
> (it is coming from an isp1.com address). Then the mail bounces and
> does not get delivered.

Following Peter Radcliffe's advice, I have all the mail routed through the
smarthost of whomever I am dailed up to. This is done with a router like

fileroute_to_gateway:
driver = domainlist
transport = remote_smtp
route_file = TABLES/exim-route-file
search_type = partial0-lsearch

where exim-route-file is

(a) empty when there is no connection

(b) * smarthost.isp1.com byname
when dialed up to ISP1

(c) * smarthost.isp2.com byname
when dialed up to ISP2

To defer routing when not dialed up, I use

queue_only_file = remote/var/spool/exim/queue_remote

But PIR uses a different mechanism which seems to work better.

The existence of the queue remote file as well as the content of
the exim-route-file is set by dial-up (and dial-down) scripts.

PIR also mentioned the use of the

-R dom.ian

to just send of some messages.

Anyway, please read the entire thread. Much of it should address your
problem.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg