Re: [Exim] domain trouble

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: John W Baxter
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] domain trouble
At 16:17 +0100 9/5/00, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>ph10@??? said:
>> I read that as a recommendation, not a restriction on the data that
>> the DNS can hold.
>
>However all the registrars that I checked state those rules as a
>restriction on valid domain names. Bind also treats _ as illegal,
>unless you explicitly prevent it doing so... and our dear friends at a
>well known large Redmond based software company utilize these rules to
>hide some authentication data in an illegally named DNS zone :-)

And Apple caused some world-wide annoyance sometime in the early 1990s by
releasing MacTCP 2.0.6 (the last of its line) with a resolver which refused
to consider _ as a valid name character. Meaning Macintoshes with archaic
networking software can't deal with such hosts (there are a small and
decreasing number of such Macs, and most hosts they wanted to deal with
were renamed fairly quickly...I haven't been asked about it during 6 years
of supporting Macs for an ISP).

--John