Re: [Exim] A recommended Mailing list manager for Exim?

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Roger Burton West
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] A recommended Mailing list manager for Exim?
On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 08:38:03AM +0100, Roger Burton West wrote:
> Since most mailing list managers are designed to work with sendmail,
> they all need a little extra configuration for exim.

Not really, exim provides a /usr/{sbin,lib}/sendmail wrapper that works
quite well.
I've used mailman with both exim and sendmail and I didn't have to change a
thing between the two machines.
That said, exim can be made to be mailman aware and be much smarter about it
(i.e. work without any mailman aliases. An alias-less mailing list manager,
I've always dreamed of one :-D)

> I favour smartlist, mainly for its automated bounce handling; it
> collaborates very cleanly with exim. I haven't tried mailman, but
> I gather it's reasonably capable; also, it has a web interface,
> which smartlist lacks.

If you use mailman 2.0beta5, you'll get that too.

> One that I'd suggest you avoid is majordomo - it's had a number of
> security problems recently, which led to its being omitted from the
> recent Debian 2.2 release.

The biggest problem is that it's unmaintained...
(it was also hacked on by way too many people)

> There's quite a bit of material on exim.org, though some of it is
> fairly deeply buried.

Here are the tricks for mailman+exim:
http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman.html

Marc