Re: [Exim] Does Exim have security problems?

Author: Mustapha Mahfouz
To: Marilyn Davis
CC: Mustapha Mahfouz, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Does Exim have security problems?
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Marilyn Davis spoke the following immortal words,

> Ah, Mustapha Mahfouz, there you are. I'm glad you are here to stand
> up to your original post. I was thinking you weren't. That's why I
> thought we should write it off as a prank and go on with our business.

Please don't worry about that. I am not in the least offended. I am indeed
very happy about the replies that I received, everyone of them is very
useful, and there were some very thorough replies to security issues.

> I don't like seeing my exim colleagues put on the defensive and I
> particularly didn't want Philip Hazel's feelings hurt when he is so
> responsive and generous with us, with software and help.

Indeed, Philip Hazel seems to have quite a reputation as a kind person,
even that article which compared MTA's said so about him.

> Yes, now I see the cultural problem. In my culture, when you have
> questions, it's better to ask them directly, not in an attacking
> fashion. A specific security concern on a recent version of exim will
> bring lots of careful attention here.

I see. Well it certainly is true that our culture is a bit aggresive ;)

> A better way to ask your question is to say something like:
>
> "I'm looking for a new MTA and security is my top concern. Can anyone
> compare exim's security to qmail's for me -- particularly with respect
> to the monolithic architecture ...."
>
> You would have gotten all your information and we would have felt you
> to be a friend right off.

I can now see where I made the error. Well it is all as Allah wishes, so
again I apologize if hurt anyones feelings.

> Thanks for coming back. Good luck with your system.

Actually I have to thank everyone who took time to write there replies, I
am indebted to all of you. I am currently reading all of them, and I want
to write a seperate document, summarising all what you have told me so
that it well help in my understading, also I can't wait to get back to my
collegues who laughed at exim, because I think that now I have enough
ammunition to hit back at them..;)

I am positive that I am going to install exim, and I will do so ASAP, and
If I get any problems (it doesn't look like there would be, everything
seems fairly straitforward) I will be sure to post to you.

May Allah protect you all,
Mustapha Mahfouz.